Stop the cycle of spots
Green People’s range of natural skin care for adult acne uses a powerful blend of natural plant actives to help cleanse the skin of impurities, unclog pores and re-set the skin’s sebum production.
The gentle, natural products significantly reduce the appearance of spots and blemishes by giving the skin the tools it needs to get back to a healthy balance and fend off acne bacteria and therefore spots.
Our scientists say...
Who gets adult acne? Statistics reveal that acne after puberty affects more than 50% of adults between the ages of 20-70. Where teenage acne is normally along the T-zone of the forehead, nose and chin, adult acne tends to affect the cheeks, jaw line and neck.
Excessive sebum production can be caused by various factors including hormone imbalances, which can be stimulated by stress, and in women levels also fluctuate during the menstrual cycle.
Sebum production is also affected by the seasons, changes in temperature and relative humidity. Spot formation is linked not only to sebum production but also to blocked pores. These blockages consist of plugs made from sebum, skin debris and keratin.
Clear skin tips
When choosing skin care for adult acne, avoid pore-clogging waterproof products and harsh conventional topical treatments. People often try to treat acne by ‘de-oiling’ the skin with harsh products; this approach often results in intense drying of the skin and provides only short-term benefits.
Drying out blemishes will initially make skin appear better for a few weeks, but over-drying causes oil glands to over compensate by working harder, resulting in clogged pores and even more breakouts three to four weeks later.
Natural solutions for staying spot-free
Green People has created a range of anti-blemish products using natural ingredients which are particularly effective at fighting adult acne in four key ways:
- Controlling bacterial growth
- Supporting healthy skin flora
- Normalising sebum production
- Prevent the build-up of dead skin cells
Our key acne and blemish fighting actives include:
Prebiotics - get the balance right and help your skin stay clean! Prebiotics encourage and support the good bacteria that live on your skin and naturally fight the bad bacteria that cause spots.
Black Willow Bark - rich source of naturally occurring salicylic acid. Salicylic acid has long been used to enhance skin cell turnover, to smooth the skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles and to have a balancing action on the production of the skin’s natural lubricant sebum.
Pineapple enzymes - break down the protein bonds holding dead skin cells to the surface of the skin, allowing them to be shed. Pores are unblocked and the complexion refined.
Tea Tree extract - a concentrated extract with powerful action against acne bacteria. It is also boasts potent antimicrobial properties to fight yeasts and moulds that may be responsible for secondary infections in acne-prone skin.
Bentonite Clay - greatly effective as a deep cleaning agent, this natural clay draws out and traps dead skin cells, toxins and pollutants, thereby removing them from the skin surface.
Natural ingredients for adult acne
Zinc oxide - offers great skin healing properties whilst also reducing skin tenderness. Prevents excess oils from forming on the skin surface, reducing inflammation and the number and severity of acne breakouts.
Aloe Vera - with its antibacterial, anti-fungal, skin regenerating and soothing properties, Aloe Vera is the ideal base for any anti-blemish product and is used as the main base in our products.
Green Tea extract - has many benefits for acne-prone skin, a potent antioxidant shown to reduce inflammatory reaction to acne-causing bacteria. It has been shown to significantly reduce sebum production.
Unblock pores and restore skin balance
Green People’s highly effective skin care essentials for adult acne target blemishes and breakouts to effectively clear, refine and balance your skin without irritating or drying.
Here we recommend our best cleanser, moisturiser and spot gel for adult acne:
Cleanse: Foaming Face Wash: Keep skin clean without stripping its natural oils with daily use of Foaming Face Wash, a pH - balanced and light lathering soap-free cleanser that rinses away residue and excess oil. Witch Hazel is gentle and non-drying to the skin and its antioxidant and astringent properties make it effective against acne. Green Tea is a powerful topical antioxidant and calms sensitive and reactive skin. Rose Geranium not only gives a beautiful aroma but helps clear congested skin and balances the secretion of oil (sebum).
Correct: Day Solution: Suitable for all skin types (even the most sensitive) this alcohol-free, certified organic daily moisturiser helps to balance and nurture the skin, keeping it soft and beautifully clear with a unique blend of anti-blemish ingredients, including Willow Bark extract and Prebiotics. Alongside this, Pineapple extract gently removes dead skin cells and unblocks pores, leaving the skin silky smooth and delicately scented with fairly traded Rose Geranium.
Zap: Zap & Clear Serum: For effective and immediate spot-zapping action use Zap & Clear Serum which uses Black Willow Bark for a smoother, more refined skin tone. The blend of Lavender, Lemongrass, Geranium and Tea Tree offers excellent cleansing, skin healing and antibacterial properties. It also helps to reduce redness and inflammation and minimise fine lines.
What to avoid if you have adult acne
Breakouts can be aggravated by many factors - stress, hormone imbalances, poor diet, sluggish digestion and improper liver function are just some of them. To get the most out of your new acne treatment, avoid ingredients that can cause skin irritation and also address internal issues.
What to avoid in your skin care
- Petrochemicals including silicones, mineral oils, paraffin wax, petrolatum and paraffin which prevent the skin from breathing and trap dirt, it is much like wrapping your skin in cling film
- Alcohol (ethyl alcohol/ethanol) removes the skin’s natural protective oils and initially dries the skin. Your skin will react by producing even more sebum
- Excessive scrubbing and harsh foaming agents such as sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) which strips the skin of its natural protective oils and causes irritation
- Soap with high pH which cause skin irritation
- Harsh chemical treatments such as benzoyl peroxide which can cause skin irritation
- Pore-clogging hair styling products and keep your hair off your face
- NEVER squeeze spots, this can cause long-term damage to your skin such as scarring, discoloration and simple whiteheads developing to full-on cystic acne
Adult acne and your diet
If your digestion is sluggish, it will have a knock-on effect on your skin. In this case seek the advice of a qualified nutritionist who can take you through a full nutritional programme. Because of the diverse nature of skin disorders and all the different underlying causes, it is impossible to give blanket dietary guidelines which apply to everyone.
What to avoid in your diet
- Sugar - such as soft drinks, sweets, jams, many cereals, biscuits, cakes and desserts
- Refined carbohydrates - such as white bread, biscuits, cakes, pastries and pasta. A good way to improve the health of your skin is to eat in a manner that keeps your blood sugar steady. Control the amount you eat and choose foods with a low glycemic index (GI) such as nuts, legumes, fruits, vegetables without starch which cause smaller increases in your blood sugar
- Dairy - milk contains components related to the hormone testosterone that may stimulate oil glands in the skin, setting the stage for acne. Remember to replace the calcium that you would normally get from dairy by eating other foods such as calcium-rich leafy greens (like kale), broccoli and sardines
- Fatty acids - different fatty acids in the foods we eat can support inflammation or dampen it. Too much inflammation inside your body can show up on your skin. We tend to get too much omega-6 fatty acid in our diet. Choose organic beef from grass-feed cows, eat fish rich in omega-3s, such as salmon and mackerel or if you are vegetarian supplement with high quality omega oils
- Processed foods - chemical additives, preservatives and synthetic colours in preserved foods may contain toxins that can trigger acne breakouts. Eating this food excessively can stress the liver and add to the aggravation of the acne
- Gluten - people can be sensitive to gluten even if they don’t have coeliac disease
Do you have any questions about natural skin care for adult acne? Please get in touch by commenting below, emailing email@example.com or give one of our friendly customer care team a call on 10403 740350.