In this guide we look at the causes of sensitive skin and then provide our top tips for caring for sensitive skin. We also advise on the best sensitive skin care and diet to help those with sensitive skin.
Balancing natural products for sensitive skin
As the experts in sensitive skin, we formulate all of our products with delicate skin and allergies in mind, including eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. Our scent-free Sensitive range is rich in natural actives to restore, protect and maintain your skin’s natural barriers. The result is healthy, soft and glowing skin.
The key to maintaining healthy skin is achieving the optimal balance. We achieve this with a skin-matched complex of plant (phyto) actives to restore the pH, moisture and sebum balance.
Be kind to your skin with sensitive skin care
A light scent-free daily face cream to soothe and balance ultra-sensitive skin
A scent-free soothing, hydrating and regenerating serum for ultra-sensitive skin
Ultra-gentle cleanser & make-up remover
What are the characteristics of sensitive skin?
- Usually thin or fine-textured with blood vessels lying close to the surface
- Easily affected by chemical and atmospheric irritation which can lead to blotchiness, redness, dehydration and irritation
- Prone to dermatitis, inflammation, dryness, stinging, itching or blistering
- Reacts to both heat and cold and so burns easily in the sun and wind.
- Easily stimulated by stress, alcohol, spicy food and harsh climate, which all cause dilation of the fine blood vessels close to the skin surface, as well as chronic dehydration and often irregular oil production
- Cosmetics and skin treatments containing alcohol, perfume, detergents or other harsh ingredients can all cause irritation, leaving the skin red and blotchy
Sensitive skin care tip
Before using a new facial care product, test it first by applying a little to the inside of your forearm. If no reaction is observed after an hour, apply it a second time to the same area and leave on for 12 hours. If there is no inflammation or irritation after this time it should be safe to use on sensitive skin.
Use a moisturiser designed to restore, protect and maintain your skin’s natural barriers. Irritation is linked to low levels of Squalene, your skin’s natural moisturiser. Our scent-free skin care is cleverly formulated to increase Squalene levels and maintain skin hydration for a minimum of 8 hours.
Avoid mainstream liquid make-up as these often contain harsh preservatives and pore-blocking silicones. Instead choose pressed mineral powder with SPF15 or our Age Defy+ Tinted DD Moisturiser SPF15 to protect your skin from UV-light.
Caring for sensitive skin
- Avoid saunas, steam or rubbing affected areas, which can exacerbate the problem
- Install a water filter system as chlorine is a very common cause of skin problems
- Room air filtration can also be very helpful to clear the air of airborne allergens
- Avoid harsh skin care products, including large-grained exfoliating scrubs and detergents such as sodium lauryl sulphate. These can graze the surface of the skin, making it more permeable to other irritants.
- Avoid products containing potential allergens such as harsh preservatives and synthetic fragrance. For those with extreme sensitivities, even natural essential oils can trigger a reaction. Our natural unscented bath and body products are made especially for super sensitive skin.
- Cleanse morning and evening with a gentle alcohol-free and soap-free natural cleansing lotion, rinse thoroughly and pat the skin dry with a very soft towel. Apply facial cream when skin is still damp to lock in moisture.
- In the sunshine, wear mineral make-up with SPF15 or use a moisturiser with built-in sun protection.
Diet for sensitive skin
- In some cases foods or food additives may cause skin irritation
- Drink at least eight glass of pure, filtered water daily to help your body detoxify
- Increase your consumption of Omega-3 fatty acids, found in oily fish and flax seed oil
- Supplement your diet with Evening Primrose oil and Vitamin C
- Avoid too much spicy food and alcohol
- Cut out junk food and avoid additives such as food colourings, as they can trigger inflammation
Have you got a question about sensitive skin care? Our customer care team is happy to help with any questions you have about sensitive skin care. Please call us on 01403 740350 or leave your comment or question below.