The skin around the eyes is rich in tiny blood vessels and very thin which make it extra sensitive. Read on to find out how you can revitalise tired and puffy eyes with natural eye care tips.
What causes puffy eyes?
Fluid retention in the tissues under the eyes is the most common cause of puffy eyes. This can result in swelling or puffiness and itchy, red eyes, especially first thing in the morning.
Puffy eyes can also be caused by changes in fluid balance, hormones, alcohol, weather or travel.
They can also be hereditary or a sign of an allergy or dermatitis - particularly if they are also itchy or red - or of sinus or thyroid problems. Check with a medical practitioner to rule these out.
Dry eyes could also indicate a lack of essential fatty acids.
Tired, puffy eyes need products which:
- firm and tighten
- protect and soothe
- nourish and increase collagen production
How to get rid of morning puffy eyes quickly
To get rid of puffy eyes in the morning quickly, wrap an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it over each eyelid for a few minutes to reduce the swelling.
How to reduce puffy eyes with your lifestyle
Drinking plenty of water, herbal teas and diluted juices helps to reduce eye puffiness. Make sure your bedroom is well ventilated as a hot environment will only add to your eye problem.
A basic touch therapy with gentle massage on both upper and lower eyelids will help push the excess fluids away and improve the appearance. Always use a soothing alcohol-free cleanser and eye make-up remover especially designed for delicate skin.
Keeping your eye care products in the fridge can also help, as the cold helps to reduce puffiness.
- Dryness around the eyes, as this can contribute to swelling and emphasise wrinkles
- Make-up residue, when left on overnight can cause irritation and puffiness
- Exposure to skin irritants such as alcohol, menthol, camphor or fragrance
- Unprotected sun exposure. Sun damage causes the skin to lose its elasticity, which in turn allows more fluid to accumulate
Feel confident about your eyes, day and night
Age Defy+ Line Eraser Lip & Eye: instant firming within 15 minutes of application
- Sea Holly Stem Cells have powerful regenerative and rejuvenating properties to stimulate and protect elastin, fibrillin and collagen. A 28 day trial showed that skin hydration increased by 95%, smoothness by 38% and tightness increased by 27%.
- Argan Seed extract has an immediate firming effect as well as a long-term effect against deeper wrinkles
Firming Eye Serum: a refreshing eye gel for day use
- Cichorium intybus (Chicory) and Caesalpinia spinosa (Tara bush) - innovative dual action plant complex to lift instantly and increase penetration of actives to increase collagen synthesis and firm the skin for longer. 90% of women tested said their skin felt tighter even after 2 hours
- Marshmallow Root extract - instant soothing and calming effect, moisturises and reduces inflammation
Rejuvenating Eye Cream: a soothing eye cream for night time
Scent-free or with Rose Geranium
- Baicalin (Skullcap) - extends the life of skin cells by reducing damage when they divide, leading to a powerful anti-ageing action. Studies have shown in over 40s, skin can look up to 10 years younger.
- Enteromorpha compressa (Green algae) and Caesalpinia spinosa (Tara bush) - reduce the appearance of wrinkles, increase elasticity and firm the skin
- Squalane and Jojoba Esters - provide instant hydration of the skin and restore suppleness and elasticity
Shop for the best products for tired, puffy eyes
See our natural eye care products for puffy eyes now. Each is made with gentle ingredients ideal for sensitive eyes, and we have a 30-day free returns policy so you can buy with confidence.
If you would like advice on choosing the right products for you, please call our helpful customer care team on 01403 740350 or email email@example.com.