This guide offers information and advice on dry skin care. We look at the reasons for dry skin and at natural facial products for dry skin. We also look at the best dietary supplements to help reduce dryness on your face and what foods sufferers of dry skin should avoid.
Natural facial products for dry skin
Our pure, gentle products are perfect for those with dry skin. Many of our organic moisturisers contain an innovative blend of plant actives to deeply hydrate your skin by delivering an instant moisture infusion that lasts at least 8 hours. Look out for this complex, made from plant Squalane and Jojoba esters.
We guarantee a very high level of biologically active plant actives to soothe, nurture and renew your skin, helping to maintain a healthy skin balance. All our products are free from skin-drying alcohol and other harsh ingredients.
What is dry skin?
Harsh cosmetics, alcohol-based personal care products and excessive bathing with strong detergents such as Sodium lauryl sulphate all add to the problem.
Dry skin can be a sign of dietary deficiencies, especially of essential fatty acids and vitamins A and B complex.
Alcohol and caffeine are both diuretics and can dehydrate the skin. Dry skin can also be the sign of an under-active thyroid. Certain medications, such as diuretics and antihistamines contribute to dry skin.
Tips for caring for dry skin
- Avoid going from very hot to very cold environments
- Keep rooms moist, especially in winter by placing bowls of water by the radiators, or use a humidifier
- Avoid excess exposure to strong sunshine, and apply a good sunscreen to exposed areas of your skin
- Get plenty of sleep, as cellular repair is at its greatest when you are at rest
- Regular exercise will nourish and cleanse your skin from within
- Choose a gentle, alcohol-free cleanser, such as an organic cleansing balm rich in nourishing oils
- Avoid using harsh exfoliators, strong detergents and very hot water on your face
- Dry skin needs regular stimulation with massage and a balancing /collections/skc-organic-facial-oil rich in ingredients such as Rosehip and Pomegranate
- A natural moisturiser fortified with skin-balancing plant actives increases the water content of the skin and gives it a soft, moist look
- Use an alcohol-free facial mist or pure mineral water to freshen your face during the day
- Always apply moisturiser to face and neck with light, tapping, upwards motions while the skin is still slightly damp. This helps lock in moisture and stimulates the circulation
- Once a week, use our deeply hydrating Hydra-Glow Sleep Mask to boost collagen production and lock in moisture while you sleep.
Diet for dry skin
- Drink lots of filtered water and non-diuretic herbal teas
- Limit alcohol and caffeine, which have a diuretic effect and can aggravate dry skin
- Supplement your diet with vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids from evening primrose oil
- Snack on sunflower and pumpkin seeds and nuts
- Include plenty of oily fish in your diet or buy unrefined, cold-pressed vegetable oil such as flax seed oil. These oils can be used daily on salads and baked potatoes, or mixed into cold dishes
- Eat plenty of yellow and orange vegetables and fruits, rich in antioxidant vitamins C and beta-carotene, green leafy vegetables and wheat germ, sources of vitamin B5
- Increase your intake of vitamin E (found in avocados, wholegrains, nuts and seeds) which is an antioxidant that protects the skin from aging and maintains elasticity
- Ensure your diet includes zinc, which is involved in hundreds of enzyme reactions essential for skin health. Natural sources include oysters and sesame and pumpkin seeds
- Garlic, onions, eggs and asparagus are high in suphur, which helps to keep the skin smooth and youthful
- Avoid fried foods, animal fat and hydrogenated vegetable oils, which increase the production of destructive free radicals
- Avoid soft drinks, sugar, chocolate, crisps, or other junk foods
Our customer care team is happy to help with any questions you have about caring for dry skin. Please call us on 01403 740350 or leave your comment or question below.