This guide gives some handy homemade skin care and face mask recipes. There are lots of natural ingredients in the home that can make very effective cleansers and toners for your daily face care needs.
From time to time though your skin can also require a little something extra, and natural face masks are a wonderful way of encouraging a bright, radiant and blemish-free complexion.
Jojoba Cleanser and Eye Make-up Remover
Jojoba oil is not an oil, but a non-greasy liquid wax resembling sebum. Jojoba is rich in antioxidant vitamin E giving it natural moisturising and healing properties. It is also resistant to oxidation and so very stable.
" Rich in antioxidant vitamin E "
Add 50ml Jojoba oil to 6 drops of an essential oil or blend that suits your skin type. Store in an airtight bottle and use within four weeks.
Nourishing Banana Mask
- Mash one small organic banana
- Mix with 1 teaspoon of Hemp oil and 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey
- Smooth the mixture onto your skin and leave for 10 minutes before gently rinsing off with warm water.
A homemade face care treat to gently detoxify, rehydrate and leave your skin glowing. Bananas are a good source of potassium, vitamins A, B6 and C which are wonderfully effecting at softening and hydrating the skin. This mask won't last so make it fresh whenever you want to give your skin a boost.
Our skin has a protective layer to keep water in and foreign substances out. Cold or hot weather, wind air conditioning and heating can all damage this layer, making it dry and flaky. When you apply the Nourishing Banana Mask to your face, oil molecules form a temporary waterproof layer giving your skin cells a chance to rebuild their moisture levels.
Apple Cider Vinegar Toner
Vinegar has a tonic action that promotes circulation in the tiny capillaries that nourish the skin. It is also an antiseptic, dissolves excess fatty deposits on the skin surface, reduces scaly or peeling conditions, and regulates the skin's pH. Apple cider vinegar is rich in enzymes and organic acids and full of vitamins and minerals. It is particularly effective when used with Lavender, Rose or Rosemary essential oils.
- Stir 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into 20ml of water and add up to 5 drops of an essential oil blend that suits your skin type. Apply to your face after cleansing. Keep refrigerated and use within four weeks.
Repairing Avocado Mask with Manuka Honey
Avocado is rich in vitamins A,D and E, beta-carotene, potassium (the 'youth mineral'), proteins, lecithin and essential fatty acids. it also contains plant steroids called sterolins, which help soften and moisturise the skin, reduce age spots and heal sun damage and scars. Avocado is wonderfully emollient and assists in the regeneration and rejuvenation of the skin. It is ideal for mature, dehydrated and sun- or climate-damaged skin. It also helps to relieve the dryness and itching of psoriasis and eczema.
All honey naturally attracts moisture and penetrates deeply, moisturising and repairing the cracking or damage caused by dryness. Manuka honey is highly antibacterial and rich in vitamins, minerals, proteins, enzymes and amino acids essential for healthy skin.
Active Manuka honey is unique to New Zealand and contains non-peroxide antibacterial agents that inhibit the bacteria that cause acne. It also helps treat slow-healing wounds such as eczema and burns.
- For normal skin types, mash the flesh of half a medium-sized organic avocado into a creamy texture. Massage into the face and neck, leave on for 15-20 minutes. Gently rinse off with warm water, then, if you wish, dab your skin with cool Green Tea.
- For very dry and mature skin types, add 1 table spoon of Manuka honey to mashed avocado.
- If your skin is oily, add 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed organic Lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey to the mashed avocado. Use the same day.
Cleansing T-Zone Mask
Perfect for combination skin that is prone to oily skin and breakouts around the T-Zone area.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of rosewater with 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of Manuka honey. If you wish you can add an essential oil. Apply to the T-zone, leave for 8-10 minutes and then rinse off.
We have over 100 natural and organic beauty products to soothe, nourish and balance your skin. If you would like help choosing the best ones for your skin, our customer care team is happy to help. Please call us on 01403 740350 or leave a comment or question below.