This guide aims to give you advice on the benefits of a hair and scalp massage. We also have a how-to guide for giving yourself a scalp massage.
The benefits of scalp massage
A healthy scalp and a beautiful, healthy head of hair require an ongoing care routine that starts with nourishment.
Massaging the scalp and hair with warm oil infused with hair-friendly herbs is a great way to nourish the scalp. It also relaxes your mind and nervous system, promotes sound sleep and may help your memory too.
A warm oil massage, done once a week, has the following benefits:
- It conditions the scalp, helping to prevent flakes and dry, itchy scalp
- It helps enhance blood circulation in the head and neck area. When the scalp is “tight” from stress, circulation and hair growth are impeded
- It helps strengthen the roots of the hair and nourishes the hair-shafts, promoting new hair growth and strengthening existing hair
- The massage helps relax the scalp and the muscles in the neck area
Useful oils for scalp massage
Carrier/base oils can be extremely helpful in hair care as they influence the sebaceous glands and can normalise their functions.
The oils penetrate deeply into the hair shaft and follicle and help produce healthy shiny hair and encourage new hair growth. Coconut, Jojoba, Almond, Avocado and Olive are great as base oils for scalp massage.
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature and melts by warming it in your hands. This oil has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, and marvellous for dry scalp condition and dry hair.
Jojoba oil is not actually an oil but a non-greasy liquid wax. It is highly penetrative and helps dissolve sebum to unblock the pores providing a healthier environment for your scalp.
Sweet Almond oil helps strengthen hair and regular massage help induce hair growth.
Both Avocado and Olive oil are rich in nourishing vitamins and are excellent choices for improving blood flow to the scalp and stimulating hair growth.
For more details see our guide to the best essential oils to choose for your hair type.
How to massage your scalp and hair
- Pour some oil into a bowl and warm the oil by placing the bowl in some hot water. The oil should be warm but comfortable to the touch, alternatively warm a little oil by rubbing your hands together
- Using the pads of your fingers, work the oil into your scalp using circular motions. Slow, deliberate movements are relaxing whereas vigorous movement helps enhance energy and circulation
- Apply the oil little by little to different parts of your scalp, parting your hair as needed
- Cover your entire scalp, all the way down the sides to your ears and at the back to your neck
- Leave the oil on for at least 30-60 minutes, longer if you can
- After your massage, dip a towel in hot water, wring it out, and wrap it around your head for added conditioning and softening of hair
- You can even leave the oil on overnight—place a thick towel over your pillow to protect your bed linen
- Wash out with a gentle, natural shampoo
Natural shampoos to care for your hair and scalp
Have a question about natural hair and scalp care?
Have you got a question about our organic hair care products for gorgeous, healthy hair?
Our UK customer care team is happy to help with any questions you may have about organic hair care. Please call us on 01403 740350 or contact us @GreenPeopleUK.